Friday, February 26, 2010

Say "Second Guess" to the dress....

 
Pictures by Garrett Grove via 100 Layer Cake

So, when I saw this wedding on 100 Layer Cake  I had the thought, "maybe that's the dress I want to wear." See, when T and I first talked about getting married, it was that dress, in a short version, in ivory that I thought I might buy. This one
 
I thought it would be a great way to have an inexpensive dress for a fun inexpensive wedding. It would be short, I would be able to move around. It would be SIMPLE. It looks to be the kind of dress that I feel good in--that fits me in the right places and falls away in the right places. But, maybe, I wondered, would it be too simple? 

And then my parents offered us a nice sum of money to fund our celebration and I thought that maybe I should go ahead and look around for something that was a little more original, a little more "wedding-y."  I put the idea of this dress on the back-burner and subsequently forgot about it.

And then I went ahead and, after weeks and weeks of trying on wedding dresses at wedding boutiques, all of which I did not care for, it seemed, I commissioned a dress to be made for my by a local seamstress. This is nice option which allows me to have nice fabric for a nice price. Except, it's been two months and I'm wondering what I even ordered at this point. And will I love it? How do I know? What if I don't like it? What if, what if, what if?

The dress I ordered is strapless. Is that going to bother me all night? What if I don't like the undergarments I've been told to wear with a strapless dress? And look at how easy that dress seems to be to wear. Look at how easy she is in it. It's like she's just free to walk about and be pretty and not stress and not worry about her top falling out. It just looks so SIMPLE.

Look at it: 
 J. Crew Silk Chiffon Sophia Gown ($395)

I mean, I know I'm being kind of crazy... but I am kind of thinking about it. We have money in the budget. Should I buy a "just in case" dress? Is that totally ridiculous? Do I want to be one of those people? (One of "those" brides?)

And, okay, so, after all this. I think I can safely say this is ridiculous. I'm not going to order a "just-in-case" dress. But, maybe I will keep this in the back of my mind if my dress just doesn't cut it. In the mean time, I just have to be patient. And chill. 


No comments:

Post a Comment