Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Why DIY isn't so cost saving

Image from 100 Layer Cake, of course

I was reading this article on 100 Layer Cake yesterday about how to make these little honey-pot favors for guests. They are pretty cute, I guess. And, I have a thing for honey. Colorado has some really delicious wild-flower honey that I would LOVE to share with my guests.

But, when I started thinking about it, and priced it out, this little project will cost approximately $326 for 100 guests. That's $3.26 per person, which is actually enough just to buy them a full jar of honey. No rosemary, but also no mess.

Here's my price breakdown:
  • Cute jars from Hobby Lobby: $2  X 100 = $200
  • Honey @ $3.50/lb. (bulk), with 1/8 lb in each jar, that's about $42
  • Rosemary, (out of season here), but lets say you can buy some $5 plants and get 10 sprigs off of each, that's $50  
  • Cheese cloth = $5
  • Punch = $12
  • Ribbon (craft ribbon on sale) = $4
  • ink= $13
Maybe I'm missing something, but this seems like a sticky, messy, annoying project.

Plus, you're supposed to put the cheese cloth under the cap? Why? It'll  just get all sticky and gross.

And what about the 60% of our guests who are flying here? Does honey count as something that you can't carry on?

I'm all for doing something special for people, and I think that is why doing things yourself can be fun and meaningful. It lets you do something special for your guests that you've laid your hands on and that is important to me. But, this indie-blog world emphasizes the ease, cost savings and indie-ness of DIY so much that I think we loose track of what DIY really can be. It doesn't always save money. It isn't always easy. More often than not, it doesn't save stress. And it never saves time.

No comments:

Post a Comment